Joint Programming Initiatives - JPIs
The joint programming concept was introduced by the European Commission in July 2008 to support implementation of the European Research Area. The objective of joint programming is to ‘increase the value of relevant national and EU R&D funding by concerted and joint planning, implementation and evaluation of national research programmes’.
The overall aim of Joint Programming is to pool national research efforts in order to make better use of Europe's precious public R&D resources and to tackle common European challenges more effectively in a few key areas.
The following Joint Programming Initiatives (JPIs) have been identified:
- Neurodegenerative Diseases/Alzheimer's
- Agriculture, food security and climate change
- A healthy diet for a healthy life
- Cultural heritage & global change
- Urban Europe
- More years, better lives
- Antimicrobial resistance
- Water challenges
- Healthy & productive seas and oceans
The European Council of March 2008 called on the Commission and Member States to explore the potential of Joint Programming, asking for joint activities to be launched by 2010.
The Commission made proposals to launch such a process in July 2008 in a Communication entitled Towards Joint Programming in Research: Working together to tackle common challenges more effectively. These proposals were based notably on the results of the public consultation following the Commission Green Paper of April 2007 and on the work of a dedicated expert group mandated by the Commission.
The Council of Ministers endorsed these proposals and agreed to launch the process in December 2008.
In March 2010, the European Commission launched its initiative Europe 2020 – A European strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth and Europe 2020 paper. As part of the Flagship Initiative: "Innovation Union" the Commission will work towards completing the European Research Area, including seeking to enhance joint programming with Member States and regions.
Source: EC Research Area
- [Document Announcement] Joint Programming Initiative on Agriculture, Food Security and Climate Change (FACCE – JPI) launches Strategic Research Agenda
- Joint Programming Initiative on Agriculture, Food Security and Climate Change (FACCE – JPI) - Strategic Research Agenda
- Joint Programming Initiative (JPI) on "Water Challenges for a Changing World"